Passport, Wallet, Travellers’ Cheques… VE103B?

Passport, Wallet, Travellers’ Cheques… VE103B?

Passport, Wallet, Travellers’ Cheques… VE103B? 660 300 Anthony Anthony

With the Easter holidays nearly upon us, and forecasts predicting the weekend’s weather to be a wash-out, for many of us, our thoughts may be turning to a few days away somewhere in Europe with a brighter outlook. But, if you’re driving a leased vehicle, there’s a crucial document you’ll need to take with you.

Whilst we’re busily cramming everything into the boot, squeezing in bags, bikes and the kitchen sink to cover all eventualities, whilst also remembering to pack passports and travel/insurance documents too… have you packed your VE103B?

Most people don’t realise that, much like not being allowed into a country without a passport, you’re not allowed to take a leased/hired car abroad without a VE103B. This is a document from the company that has leased your lease/hire vehicle which gives you permission to take it to another country. Produced by the British Vehicle Rental and Leasing Association (BVRLA), a VE103B is also known as a ‘Vehicle on Hire’ certificate.

In the unfortunate event that you are involved in an accident or stopped by the police, failure to produce a VE103B could result in your car being impounded. Whilst this isn’t always the outcome, it is still an offence not to hold a VE103B and you will most certainly face the consequences of long delays and/or heavy fines. Acquiring this document is quite easy, and WVL are able to provide one.

Holding a VE103B will afford you full peace of mind to travel anywhere in mainland Europe, and as the majority of our fleet has full AA Cover too (including European Assistance) you can be sure that your little away-break doesn’t turn into a big nightmare.


Don’t forget that there are other factors you’ll need to consider when driving abroad – not least the different road laws throughout different countries. For example, did you know it’s compulsory to carry a breathalyser in your vehicle at all times in France, and also that their legal limit is 50mg – much lower than the 80mg here in the UK?

As of April 2017, please note: vehicles will also need to display an emissions-related Crit’Air sticker to enter Paris and other cities. Learn more in our Crit’Air blog post.